Ferry Meidianto | /* Living in .NET World */

Oct/10

Windows Live Essentials 2011 – msnmgr.exe Error “The program can’t start because wldlog.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix problem”

After long wait, at last Windows Live Essentials 2011 reaches its RTM. There are 2 installer versions we can use:

Today I had chance to install it. Everything else went smooth but I got msnmgr.exe error when I was ‘first time’ starting the Windows Live Messenger.

The error says The program can’t start because wldlog.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix problem.

The error message was only thrown once. But after that every time I tried to login to Messenger it threw error 80040154. The solution link that leads to msxml3.dll fix didn’t help at all for this version nor reinstalling the Windows Live Messenger.

After long day of research, at last I got the solution. It seems the new Windows Live has grouped the wldcore.dll and wldlog.dll (used by Messenger, Contacts and Mail) to a folder c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared

image

Maybe because I did upgrade install it screwed up things.

The solution was simply copy paste those 2 files wldcore.dll and wldlog.dll from c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared to

• c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger
  • c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts
  • c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail

Now I can login to Windows Live Messenger and enjoy the whole Windows Live Essentials 2011 products.

Make donation to this article:

· · · · ·

43 comments

• badmash · October 23, 2010 at 2:00 am

I just signed up to your blogs rss feed. Will you post more on this subject?

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · October 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Sure. Thanks for visiting. 🙂

• Tom Yeh · October 24, 2010 at 1:48 am

Thanks for your share.
    finally, my problem solve by your instruction.
    why MS don’t have any solution could help us solve this kind of problem.

• Vincent Bouchy · October 27, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Thank you Ferry, your post just solved my ‘offlineness’ since the Windows Live Essentials 2011 upgrade !

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · October 27, 2010 at 7:30 pm

You’re welcome Vincent!

• Elizabeth · October 28, 2010 at 5:08 am

Hi,

I’ve come across this issue as well, but when I went to look in the shared folder that file was not there.. Not sure if there is another solution, but I seem to have hit a wall with this..

Thanks for any help you may have!

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · October 28, 2010 at 5:33 am

Hi Elizabeth,
    Try searching that file inside Windows Live folder, ie: C:\Program Files\Windows Live

• Dennis · October 29, 2010 at 8:47 am

It STILL didn’t work D: im still getting the error :/ what am i doing wrong? i copied and pasted the things like you said but it still didn’t work v_v

• Marc · October 29, 2010 at 1:02 pm

i dont have the mail folder, so i tried anyways and its still not working… can u help plz, im getting really frustrated

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · October 29, 2010 at 1:06 pm

@Dennis: The error could be caused by other thing. I write wrote this post based on my experience.

@Marc: That’s maybe because you haven’t installed Windows Live Mail.

• Chad Gross · February 10, 2011 at 9:57 pm

You are a friggin genius! Was forced to update messenger by MS and then it hosed everything up. Had to uninstall an reinstall and still broke. MS has this install messed up for the new messenger and it took me forever to find this post and MS has nothing on how to fix it. Oy yey.

• Tcho · May 9, 2011 at 8:39 am

Man meu msn ta dando eros esquisitos!

• Impossibile avviare Windows Live Messenger 2011 « Lo spazio di Oscar · May 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

[…] Questo articolo è stato tradotto in italiano da: http://blog.meidianto.com/ […]

• Amjed · July 22, 2011 at 2:05 am

Thaaaanks a lot, it worked for me 🙂

• Terry Hodgson · July 28, 2011 at 2:51 am

Absolutely bang on! Your suggested fix worked wonders for me and I thank you for posting your solution. I tried various software programs that suggested they could fix my problem but they didn’t work.

• Tony · July 30, 2011 at 8:42 am

Hello i looked for the directory and all it shows is this
    c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Family Safety
    c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mesh
    c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail
    And the files can’t be found –> wldcore.dll and wldlog.dll I am running x64 and when i run the installer it hoses my system and lags to the point where i have to use system restore..

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · July 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

Try looking at Program Files (x86) directory.

• molham · September 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I donot find shared folder in folder windows live what is the solve of this difficult

• Ronald Benvenutti · September 22, 2011 at 12:17 am

Sometimes the above solution is OK. For me, at the first time it worked, but not anymore.

The real problem is the PATH environment variable. Edit it and put the MSN related paths to the beginning. This worked for me. Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Configurations, Environment Variables, cut all the paths with “Windows Live” and paste them at the beginning.

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · September 22, 2011 at 12:21 am

Thanks for sharing

• Baki · September 29, 2011 at 2:11 am

Helo My probelms is In Windows live /Shared its no wldcore.dll and wld….. Whay ?

• Mohab Hafez · November 21, 2011 at 5:12 am

Thanks man you made my day 🙂

• Delta · January 17, 2012 at 1:02 am

It didn’t work, I don’t have a shared folder. I tried to fall the same steps and nothing. I even did a search through my whole system and didn’t locate it. I tried reinstalling, but it says its already installed. I tried uninstalling. But there is nothing there. Please Help.

• Iyanna Godsey · February 29, 2012 at 6:19 am

“Say, you got a nice blog.Many thanks. Really Cool.”

• Roger · March 2, 2012 at 5:05 am

Gracias por tu ayuda, eres el mejor 😉

• deaa · May 7, 2012 at 8:22 pm

the ordinal270 could not be located the dynamic link library WLDCore.dll
    ???

• Joe · June 21, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I some problems about 2 months ago, then decided to use older version instead, but now they disabled it for the new one. As i installed the new version I got also that ordinal 270 error, but following the instructions it worked, simple as that. I searched even page eleven from google, but didn’t get a single solution until i found this place.

• James · July 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I had a problem after doing the above . the error shown now is ” The ordinal 43 could not be located in the dynamic link library WLDCore.dll.

• Katelyn Rhoades · August 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Wow, great article.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

• Kishore SL · October 1, 2012 at 2:03 am

superb!!
    i had been screwed up & this post gave one stop reply

thanks a ton!!

Regards,
    Kishore.SL

• Maria · October 16, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Tanks for the help:)

• Robert · November 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Magic, thank you

• hub coonen · November 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm

• Jim White · November 28, 2012 at 5:26 am

Brilliant. had the same problem with the wldcore.dll error and your solution fixed it. Thanks!!!! Only difference it was in programs files x86, not the 64bit programs file.

• Obelix · December 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Merci pour tout super efficace

• Andreas · December 7, 2012 at 12:53 am

Thanks a lot, you saved my life, mate.

• jahmaka · January 29, 2013 at 2:06 am

Thank you so much.

• David Prentice · January 24, 2014 at 11:14 am

Thank you so much this really helped me a lot!

• osmodia · August 10, 2015 at 2:04 am

Would be nice if it worked, but I have NO wldcore.dll file on my PC, no c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared, nothing! I have downloaded Live essential’s, run it and it says I’m good to go but nothing! No start icon, nothing shows anywhere so I can’t uninstall even with Revo uninstaller.

• Marco · April 2, 2016 at 12:12 am

@osmodia: make sure to search for wldcore.dll by using Wimdows Command Prompt:

1) Click Start
    2) Type cmd in “Search programs and files”
    3) Command Prompt window appears
    4) In Command Prompt window type:
    cd\
    dir wldcore.dll /s
    5) It should find it in some folder

Because I wasted half a day searching for wldcore.dll by using Windows Explorer search box and it won’t find it. I don’t know why, Windows is junk and evil!

• Donald Sanders · June 5, 2016 at 3:14 am

Even for Windows 10 the WLDCore.dll should be on your computer. If it is not then you have a problem with your operating system.

To find it: Pull up Windows Explorer. In the top two input fields put in C:\ on the left and WLDCore.dll in the right field, then press enter. It will search your entire hard drive.

After it comes up right mouse click it and then click on copy.

Next go to the folder of the program you are trying to run and paste (copy) it in into that same folder.

It worked for me.

• Muskrat · September 1, 2016 at 8:34 pm

I have the same problem, I had it before on win7 and I have it now on a completely clean install of win10, WLDCore.dll does not exist on this computer.

However Windows Live Mail opens as it should if I just click the icon. It opens as it should when I click a mail link in Internet Explorer.. if I try the same in Firefox or Chrome however I get the WLDCORE.dll is missing and won’t open. Which is really rather frustrating as I don’t use Internet Explorer.

• Sneezy Phil · April 25, 2017 at 4:39 am

Awesome, thanks. But found the files in C:\Program Files (x86). C:\Program Files just came to a dead end.