Ferry Meidianto | /* Living in .NET World */

Aug/10

VS2010 Tips #14: How change the default browser used in debugging ASP.NET MVC 2 application

Changing default browser used in debugging ASP.NET MVC 2 is a bit tricky in Visual Studio 2010. To use ScottGu’s steps, you will need to add new ASPX page first. But unfortunately if you delete the page then close the application, anytime you rerun the application then the change you did will lost (it backs to use the default browser set in OS).

In my case I have Firefox set as my default browser but I need to use Internet Explorer as default browser for debugging. The trick I do is by doing these:

1. Open the project properties
  2. Go to Web tab
  3. Set the Start Action to use Start external program and then pass the Internet Explorer executable path and the url as Command line arguments.
  4. Set the Servers’ specific port to the same port set in the url in step 3.

image

(click to view the image in original size)

Make donation to this article:

· · · ·

7 comments

• Jerry Evans · August 15, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Karma++. Thx.

• dutt · February 24, 2011 at 12:16 am

1. Set IE as default system browser
    2. Open VS2010.
    3. Set IE as default browser using “Browse With”
    4. Change your default system browser back to your preferred choice (while VS2010 is still open)

• Minela · May 24, 2011 at 2:10 am

Thanks! Very helpful!

• premkumar · September 8, 2011 at 10:40 am

Thanks

• Todd Davis · May 3, 2012 at 11:47 pm

There is also an extension which is small and easy to use called the WOVS default browser switcher.

• Roberto · October 27, 2012 at 5:22 am

Right solution for me at:

——————————————-
    n Visual Studio 2010, the Browse With option is available. However, it is not available for MVC Views!

Simply add a Web Form or HTML Page to your project, and Browse With is readily available in it’s context menu. Here you can set the Default Browser, and that setting will be used for all subsequent debugging.
    ———————————————-

• bclayshannon · August 10, 2013 at 1:27 am

I have no web tab; I have:
    Application
    Build
    Build Events
    Debug
    Resources
    Services
    Settings
    Reference Paths
    Signing

Do I need to select “Convert to Web App” on my project to get the Web tab to show?

It would suffice for me just to know how to change the browser on a case-by-case (or F5-by-F5) basis.

Theme Design by devolux.nh2.me

Disclaimer

All postings/content on this blog are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights. All entries in this blog are my opinion and don't necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer or sponsors. The content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution By license.
To top