Ferry Meidianto | /* Living in .NET World */

May/10

VS2010 Tips #10: How to change Local Help Library path

In this blog post, I want to show you how to change the path of the Local Help Library.

Let’s say you want to move the location of the local content being stored. You can simply move the files and change the path.

Where is it stored now? run the Help Library Manager

image

Then click Settings

image

That is the current location. You can copy the contents of that folder to somewhere. (for this example, I move my help contents to D:\DUMMY FILES\HelpLibrary\)

Then open Registry Editor

image

and then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Help -> v1.0

Change the value of LocalStore with the path of the new location

image

In this case I changed it to D:\DUMMY FILES\HelpLibrary\

image

Okay, now go to the new location then edit the /manifest/queryManifest.3.xml using Notepad

image

Modify the following to match the new location

image

So, for this example it will become like this

image

That’s it!

You can test it by running Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Documentation

image

· ·

10 comments

• Tweets that mention VS2010 Tips #10: How to change Local Help Library path · Ferry Meidianto -- Topsy.com · June 3, 2010 at 12:38 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by MSDN Forum, Ferry Meidianto. Ferry Meidianto said: VS2010 Tips#10: How to change Local Help Library path http://bit.ly/dkuS7Q […]

• m dev · December 8, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Your tip worked thanks. But i am still having problems. Even though i added local content in full, every time it asks for online help o

• RICHER Bernard · December 8, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Very well, since the time for which I looked.
    A detail, certainly due to the French version : the file Manisfest to me is called “queryManifest.10.xml”.

• Alex · October 3, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Nice tip!
    It was very useful.)

• duckman · March 22, 2012 at 11:01 am

Very useful – note the name of the manifest file varies.

• Installing Online Document for SQL Server 2012 » John Huang's Blog · April 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

[…] and installed in C drive. If this is not the location you want, you may want to follow steps here to change the […]

• Geoffrey Vancoetsem · May 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm

It’s simpler to reset the initialization status of the Help Manager by editing the current file :
    “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v1.0\HelpLibManager.exe.config”

Double-check that the Help Library Agent and Help Library Manager are not running, then set the appSetting “FirstTimeRun” to “True”.
    Next time you’ll launch the Help Manager it will be like the first time.

• Sudesh Sawant · August 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I had followed the steps above, but messed up somewhere. Fixed it, thanks to Geoffrey for his comment.

• Andy Guo · August 23, 2013 at 9:42 am

In my case,Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1 can’t recognizes new location until I reboot Windows.

P.S : Please forgive me for my poor English.

• Russ Troester · October 25, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Thank you for the tip! This was very helpful.

Theme Design by devolux.nh2.me

Disclaimer

All postings/content on this blog are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confer no rights. All entries in this blog are my opinion and don't necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer or sponsors. The content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution By license.
To top