Ferry Meidianto | /* Living in .NET World */

May/10

Simply drag-n-drop the jQuery library from Solution Explorer to the opened external JavaScript file.

image

The Intellisense should work now.

image

Make donation to this article:

· ·

27 comments

• Tweets that mention VS2010 Tips #7: How to make jQuery Intellisense work for external JavaScript file · Ferry Meidianto -- Topsy.com · May 13, 2010 at 7:18 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ferry Meidianto. Ferry Meidianto said: VS2010 Tips#7: How to make jQuery Intellisense work for external JavaScript file http://bit.ly/9RkQjm [...]

• BlueRaja · November 21, 2010 at 3:18 am

HOLY CRAP SO SEXY

I can’t get over how easy this was. Thanks man!

• Stuart · December 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm

My life just got a whole lot easier. Thanks!

• Yogi Legnon · January 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Thanks a ton! I was really getting aggravated wihout my intellisense. It has really spoiled me.

• Ilija Injac · January 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Ferry – you saved my day! Thank you so much, man!

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · January 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

You’re welcome

• eggpoker · January 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

not working on my pc.
    would you pls help?
    is there any patch that must be installed on vs2010?

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · January 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm

No need to install a patch for VS2010 I believe. It was for VS2008.
    Make sure that the JS is in your Project and drag it to the editor.

• Frithjfo · February 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Nice one :D

If someone has the same problem:

The line generated by the “magic drag drop”
    /// reference path=../pathtofile.js

must be the first line of the js file, where you want to use intellinsense…

• Greg K · February 9, 2011 at 8:19 pm

What about:
    (function ($) {
    test = function () {

};
    })(jQuery);

is it working inside test function?

• João Batista · February 11, 2011 at 6:42 am

Thanks for the quick (but really useful) help!

• Using jQuery Intellisense in Visual Studio 2010 | Warren Tang's Blog · April 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

[...] jQuery 1.4.1 Intellisense with Visual Studio VS2010 Tips #7: How to make jQuery Intellisense work for external JavaScript file Blog this! Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Share on dzone Recommend on Facebook Share on [...]

• vinny · May 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm

This doesn’t work for my :-( I was really hoping to get some jquery intellisense because we’re using this more and more.

Any ideas of what could be wrong in vs2010 professional sp1 ?

• Admin comment by Ferry Meidianto · May 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Try resetting your environment settings.
    Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings

• Lukas · May 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm

@Frithjfo: Thank you!
    The references must indeed be the very first lines of the document.

• Thomas K. Nielsen · July 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Perfect thanks. Just what I needed.

I had some problems dragging and dropping in the ide if anybody else have that problem you need to remember to “check” the option

tools > options > Text editor > general > Drag and drop editing

I think it’s “checked” by default, but I might have turned it off and then you cannot drag and drop like that.

• Caleb Leak · July 20, 2011 at 3:17 am

Thanks Ferry and also Frithjfo! I also was unable to get this work until I stuck the /// at the top of my file, even before other comments. Works great now.

• jQuery Intellisense in Visual Studio 2010 · November 3, 2011 at 2:22 am

• PilotBob · November 19, 2011 at 1:13 am

So, how do you keep these up to date as you upgrade your jQuery scripts to newer versions?

My thought is to modify the file names in my scripts folder to a “non versioned” number and make sure to update those files as I change my script references to new versions.

BOb

• Panoone · December 7, 2011 at 6:37 am

Genius, PilotBob. That’s just what I did. :)

For others who are having difficulty (like I was), as the FIRST line in your custom js file, add the following project RELATIVE reference link to your jQuery file.

///

As PilotBob mentioned, usinga generic name means not having to worry about update issues.

Just be sure to keep the version number intact in the jQuery file itself for eases of identification.

/*! jQuery v1.x.x http://jquery.com/ | http://jquery.org/license */

• How to make jQuery Intellisense work for external JavaScript file in VS 2010 « Trần Quang Trung · March 3, 2012 at 12:58 am

[...] [...]

• intellisense with jquery in visual studio 2010 | PHP Developer Resource · May 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

[...] VS2010 Tips #7: How to make jQuery Intellisense work for external JavaScript file [...]

• jquery intellisense visual studio 2010 « Joshua's Snippets · June 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

[...] VS2010 Tips #7 Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. Categories: Jquery Tags: enable jquery [...]

• Lino Silva · August 29, 2012 at 11:35 pm

This is amazing. Thanks for the tip!

• mayur · July 10, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Much needed tip for jquery..thanks a lot!!

• Madhubm · March 26, 2014 at 1:11 pm

This was amazingly simple. Thanks a ton!

• intellisense with jquery in visual studio 2010 | Yaker Answers · December 8, 2014 at 11:58 pm

[…] VS2010 Tips #7: How to make jQuery Intellisense work for outmost JavaScript file […]