Today I was debugging ASP.NET website and got very annoying issue. The website has file download feature and anytime I download the file IE9 couldn’t open it – the file was missing before the PDF application could open it. It did work on FF and Chrome.
I have cleaned-up Temporary Files directory and also ASP.NET temporary files (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files) but no luck.
Later I realized that by changing the debugging port for ASP.NET Development Server to any new number solved the problem. But I didn’t believe that it’s the real solution. Then after playing with IE settings a bit I found that this setting caused the problem.
It was set to Automatically by default.
You can set it to Every time I start Internet Explorer but I prefer Every time I visit the Webpage for my need, both will work.
Hopefully this will help anyone having the same issue as I faced.
WebMatrix is a free web development tool from Microsoft that includes everything you need for website development. Start from open source web applications, built-in web templates or just start writing code yourself. It’s all-inclusive, simple and best of all free. Developing websites has never been easier.
Create, customize and publish websites for free with WebMatrix !
Has just got an email from Microsoft Most Valuable Professional program that my MVP is renewed. This will be the 2nd year as Microsoft MVP but this year I’m awarded for ASP.NET expertise. I’m hoping I can contribute more this year to the community.
Happy new year.
I recently upgrading ASP.NET MVC 2 solution from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2010 (Ultimate Edition). I found that debugging was very slow. Depending on project size, it took around 30 seconds to initialize and another 5 seconds on each page request in my experience.
I tried disabling IntelliTrace (what is IntelliTrace?)
and…. voila! it got its awesome performance back!
After long wait, at last Windows Live Essentials 2011 reaches its RTM. There are 2 installer versions we can use:
Today I had chance to install it. Everything else went smooth but I got msnmgr.exe error when I was “first time” starting the Windows Live Messenger.
The error says The program can’t start because wldlog.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix problem.
The error message was only thrown once. But… after that every time I tried to login to Messenger it threw error 80040154. The solution link that leads to msxml3.dll fix didn’t help at all for this version nor reinstalling the Windows Live Messenger.
After long day of research, at last I got the solution. It seems the new Windows Live has grouped the wldcore.dll and wldlog.dll (used by Messenger, Contacts and Mail) to a folder c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared
Maybe because I did upgrade install it screwed up things.
The solution was simply copy paste those 2 files wldcore.dll and wldlog.dll from c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared to
- c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger
- c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts
- c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail
Now I can login to Windows Live Messenger and enjoy the whole Windows Live Essentials 2011 products.
Make donation to this article:
UPDATE (2010-09-29): Microsoft has release the fix. It should be available through Windows Update.
More Info: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/09/28/asp-net-security-update-now-available.aspx
Microsoft Security Advisory just announced a vulnerability in ASP.NET that can lead to information disclosure. You can read the complete announcement at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/2416728.mspx
Important: Please make sure you read the Workaround section and do appropriate action based on your websites’ config.
Additional information can also be found at Scott Gu’s blog post http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/09/18/important-asp-net-security-vulnerability.aspx
Disk Cleanup tool is not installed by default on Windows Server 2008 R2. To make it available, you need to add a feature called “Desktop Experience”
Note that in the screenshot above it listed as “Installed” because I have just installed it.
I shocked when I found that I couldn’t access Umbraco control panel of one of the most important websites that my client has. It threw “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” error once I successfully logged in to the control panel.
After making backup and small research I found a way to recover from that annoying thing. The workaround was recycling the Application Pool that the website use.
Simple way to know whether SQL Server is 32-bit or 64-bit is by executing the following script:
It will then return the Edition of SQL Server installed. If it’s 32-bit it will just return the Edition name.
If it’s 64-bit then it will have (64-bit) added after the Edition name.